Friday, January 14, 2011

How It feels like to be helpless...

This happened almost about a week back!! On my way to a friends' place falls a mosque, a very old and large one. As I was walking along that particular road, I saw an old man, probably in his sixties holding a white cane in one of his hands and waving the other one in the air from time to time. The sight of white cane made me realize at once, that he is visually challenged and needs help to cross the road. The man was wearing very shabby and torn clothes and an off-white skull cap(trademark of muslim men) that had almost turned brown due to dust and dirt.


How helpless a human being can get?? is what I asked almighty that day. My heart moved by the sight, my eyes almost moist, but my mind still in a dilemma.... whether to help the man cross the road , or move ahead leaving him behind in a helpless state , like almost all the people on the road at that point of time. In this mind vs heart battle, my mind won over by convincing my heart that it wouldn't be a good thing to touch such a dirty and unhygienic person in front of so many people. But the most valid argument that it put across my heart was that you never know.... that man could be one of those classic perverts , famously shown in so many movies  and from my own experiences too, waiting to be touched by women and  young girls...


So I moved on, listening to my mind but after leaving the man a few steps behind a strange guilt caught hold me.. My heart said.. "What's wrong with you Pratibha...??  You are a person who believes so much in social equality and human emotions.. I can't believe you did this..." And I turned back........ I saw the man still standing at the same point, waving his hand , muttering a few unclear words. I started moving towards him to help him.


I finally decided to hold his hand and make him cross the road, despite the thing that I would surely get the strangest of looks from the crowd. But I moved at a steady pace. But just as I was a few inches away from him, I saw a able bodied beggar hold the man's hand and help him cross the road...!!!


I know I could not help him , But somehow I freed myself of the guilt which would otherwise have remained in me , for  I dont know how long.... !!!

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I understand how bad it feels... specially when u want to help and still thinking of how the ppl will take it...

    At times, i too fel so helpless, esp seeing small children work.

    I like ur way of writing... it was almost reading my own post!

    tc

    RESTLESS

    ReplyDelete
  2. It often happens when there is a hassle between mind and heart. My mom always says listen to your heart as it has the true voice, mind is materialistic. Good u listened your heart, but I can also understand your dilemma... as in the world we live difficult to succeed moral values...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u for visiting my blog and leaving behind your valuable opinion.... All the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed a touching post...life brings you many such instances often...I remember the dialogues of a move Kabhi Khushi Kabhi gam,it says "if you have any problem in life and you cnt think of any solution then close ur eyes and remember ur parents, automatically the problem will be solved :))"..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked ur post very much for the human touch and generous feeling u carry towards the plight of the poor man and taking a considerate effort towards it.
    It is a very common scene,we try to be unseen when someone really needs a helping hand :-(

    It was a similar way i say a man falling down his seat in an local bus by an attack epilepsy(fits) but to my surprise no one among the mass lent up a hand to support(nor the conductor).....the person recovered after some time and then people started coming near to him...
    It's very much to our discretion...we do have a choice !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree.. Thank u for appreciating... :)

    ReplyDelete